Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Why I Am A Republican

Senator McCain, August 27, 2008

I am writing to tell you why I became a Republican, and why I think it is important for your campaign and for our party. There is one reason why I became a Republican, and only one reason: my mother. My mother has inspired me to achieve many great things in my life, including learning about and devoutly remaining loyal to the Republican party.

My mother, a lifelong Republican, like Hillary Clinton, was a Goldwater girl in 1964 -- she travelled all over Hale County, Alabama convincing its citizens that a century-long boycott of our great party needed to end in order for their best interests to truly be served. It was a difficult job that did not yield an election victory, but it inspired and furthered a belief in Republican principles in my mother that remains strong and vibrant.

As a political and economic systems teacher, my mother not only influenced me but many others to strongly consider the party that stands for less government and more individual liberties, that believes in protecting our security at home and abroad, and that encourages the American entrepreneurial spirit. My mother taught me about the true greatness of Richard Nixon, of the leadership of Theodore Roosevelt and of the courage of Abraham Lincoln. I was fortunate enough to be old enough to witness Ronald Reagan's magnificence, but my mother was the one explaining why Reaganomics formed a sound economic policy and why Reagan's foreign policies would end the Cold War.

I write to tell you this because I see a tremendous opportunity for you, Senator McCain, as the visionary you are to lead our party to groundbreaking new places that would open people's eyes to the fact that our party is the party which truly represents the party of opportunity and liberty, and would destroy the use of identity politics to undermine the Republican Party's message. By naming a strong female candidate as your vice presidential nominee, whether it be Kay Bailey Hutchison (whom I supported in an earlier email) or Carly Fiorina or Meg Whitman or Condoleeza Rice or Sarah Palin, we as Republicans could show women who respects their voice and who lifts them to higher levels.

There are many ways which one chooses their party affiliation, but please do not underestimate the power of primacy. Many, if not most or all, people first learn about party affiliations from their parents, and often from their mothers. My mother inspired me to do many things, including to become an attorney (who will be proudly volunteering for Lawyers for McCain) and of course, to be a proud Republican. By reaching out to female voters by naming a female vice presidential nominee, the Republican Party could potentially gain the trust and loyalty of many women who are or could become mothers who might impact their children the way my mother has impacted me.

One further point: I have an 18-month old daughter whom I will teach about Republican values, but whom I will support no matter what party affiliation she chooses in the future. It would make my heart swell with pride if I would be able to tell her that it was a Republican woman who became our nation's first female vice president and it truly was possible for her to achieve whatever she wants in life. Like her or not, watching Hillary Clinton's campaign this spring gave me pride when I held my daughter because I was able to tell her that anything can be achieved -- I want my party to show women that it is the party where that is truly possible.

Please do not underestimate your ability to do something historic here: Walter Mondale may be remembered as the first presidential candidate to name a female vice presidential nominee, but you would be remembered as the first President who named a female to be their Vice President, and as the man who revolutionized the Republican Party and its relationship with our nation's many strong women. God bless you, and the best of luck in the coming days and weeks.

All the best,

Richard C. Wetzel, III, Esq.

No comments: